Best Baked Lasagna
- 3 cans diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 lb mild sausage
- 1 onion diced (I prefer sweet yellow onions)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Cheese Filling and Pasta:
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 4 oz parmesan cheese
- 16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs (you can beat them or just add them in whole)
- kosher salt to taste (I like about 1 tsp)
- Italian seasoning (to taste)
- Fresh basil or dried basil
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- Additional mozzarella (around 8-16 oz depending on how cheesy you like it)
- Bring water to boil in a large pot. You can salt or oil the water, as you prefer. Cook the lasagna noodles per directions on box. I usually cook mine until they are bendable and then turn off the water and let them sit in the water while I assemble the lasagna.
- Brown sausage in a large sauce pan. Once browned, add onion and seasoning and mix. Stir in canned tomatoes. Let simmer while you make the cheese filling.
- In a larger bowl combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, eggs, salt and basil. Mix together until they are well incorporated.
- Take a 9 x 13 baking dish and spread a ladle of tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish. Layer a row of lasagna noodles over the sauce. I usually do a row of three noodles to fit my dish.
- Take a spoonfuls of the cheese mixture and spread it out over the noodles. top with another row of lasagna noodles.
- Take a ladle of tomato sauce and spread it over the noodles and top with more lasagna noodles.
- Spread with cheese mixture and top with noodles and repeat with tomato sauce until you run out. I had three noodles left over when I ran out of both sauces. The final layer should end with remaining tomato sauce on top. Cover with mozzarella cheese and sprinkle Italian seasoning over the top of the cheese, to your taste.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese and sauces are bubbly, around 40 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes and then serve.
I like to serve with French bread and a salad.